SMS Payments – Twilio TransfersSale!
The SMS Payments Add-on allows your users to make transfers via SMS messages or let your users check their current balance via an SMS message. Just like the Transfer add-on where users transfer via a shortcode on your website, SMS Payments does the exact same thing but via specially constructed SMS messages. In order to use this add-on, you must have a Twilio account with a phone number that supports messaging.
How it works
Your user sends a specially formatted SMS message to your Twilio phone number.
Twilio receives the message and forwards it to the Notifications URL you have provided.
The message is captured by the add-on and processed. If set, a reply is sent back to the user.
- SMS transfers between users.
- Check balance via SMS. (since 1.0.1)
- Option to send confirmation messages to sender.
- Option to allow transfer cancellations.
- Option to enforce the transfer limit set via the Transfer add-on.
- A user types a SMS message where he enters (in order): The action he wants to take, the amount of points he wants to send, the user he wants to send it to and if allowed, an optional description for the transfer referred to as “a message”.
- The user sends this SMS to your Twilio number that you have given him.
- Twilio receives the message and forwards it to the URL set in your phone numbers Messaging settings.
- The SMS Payments add-on intercepts this call and processes the message body.
- First, the add-on tries to identify the sender by checking the senders phone number against your database.
- If the user is found, the add-on then checks that the amount requested to be sent can be covered by the sender and if set, does not exceed his transfer limit.
- If the amount is good, the add-on then tries to identify the recipient. You can identify recipients by either their user ID, login (username) or email.
- If the recipient is found, the transfer is initiated by first charging the sender then depositing the amount into the recipients account.
- If you allow cancellations, the add-on will save the transaction for x number of seconds via WordPress Transients and presents Twilio (who at this stage is still waiting for a reply) with a SMS message.
- This SMS message is given to Twilio as a “reply” to the call causing Twilio to send it back to the user.
The transfer sender then receives the SMS message and if you allow cancellations has then x number of seconds to send the cancellations message. Once the cancellation time has passed, the transient is deleted and cancellations is no longer possible.
SMS Message Structure
Making a transfer:
ACTION AMOUNT RECIPIENT MESSAGE
Cancelling a transfer:
- Download the add-on
- Unzip and upload the sms-transfers folder to your wp-content/plugins/ folder
- Login to your WordPress admin area
- Enable the SMS Payments plugin
SMS Payment Settings
- Enter your Twilio Account ID and the Twilio phone number to which users will send their SMS messages.
- Enter the meta key where you store your users phone numbers. This can either be a WordPress meta key or a BuddyPress extra profile field name. *
- Select how to identify the transfer recipients in the SMS messages. By default you can select ID, login or emails.
- Set how you want to identify user actions such as transfers and / or transfer cancellations.
- Select if you want to enforce the transfer limit used by the Transfers add-on.
- Select if you want to offer transfer cancellations by setting the number of seconds a user has cancel a transfer. Use zero to disable this feature.
- Set your myCRED Log templates for transfers and cancellations.
- Set the SMS replies you want to send users. Remember that you will be charged for these SMS replies and there is a maximum 160 characters per message.
- Click Update Settings
* Phone numbers must be stored in the proper format! This means numbers should start with a plus character (+) then the country code (1 for USA) then the entire number without any dashes or spaces!
Important to remember
- This add-on will only manage the SMS transfers for you. It will NOT insert any details to your users on how to use the SMS service, this you need to add yourself!
- Twilio will charge you for replying to SMS messages. If you expect a large volume of messages, please contact Twilio Sales to make sure you are on the correct pricing plan.
- Support is only offered for this add-on. If you experience technical issues with your Twilio account, please contact Twilio directly.
Setting up your Twilio Number
In order for this add-on to work, you must setup your Twilio phone numbers “Messaging Request URL” in order to tell Twilio where to forward incoming SMS messages.
- Login to your Twilio account
- Click on “Numbers” in your account menu
- Click on the phone number you want to use
- In the “Messaging” box enter the URL given to your in your myCRED > Settings > SMS Payments settings.
- Make sure the request is done using “GET”.
- Click Save Changes
- FIX – Identifying users via ID is not working.
- FIX – Success template not getting saved on some setups.
- Initial release
Frequently Asked Questions
No questions found for this add-on.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.