The SMS Payments Add-on allows your users to check their current point balance or make transfers via SMS (Short Message Service) messages.
Just like the Transfer add-on where users transfer their points via a shortcode on your website, SMS Payments does the exact same thing but via specially constructed SMS messages. In order to use this add-on, you must have a Twilio account with a verified phone number that supports messaging.
- Download the add-on
- Unzip and upload the sms-transfers folder to your wp-content/plugins/ folder
- Login to your WordPress admin area
- Enable the SMS Payments plugin
SMS Payment Settings
- Enter your Twilio Account ID and the Twilio phone number to which users will send their SMS messages.
- Enter the meta key where you store your users phone numbers. This can either be a WordPress meta key or a BuddyPress extra profile field name. *
- Select how to identify the transfer recipients in the SMS messages. By default you can select ID, login or emails.
- Set how you want to identify user actions such as transfers and / or transfer cancellations.
- Select if you want to enforce the transfer limit used by the Transfers add-on.
- Select if you want to offer transfer cancellations by setting the number of seconds a user has to cancel a transfer. Use zero to disable this feature.
- Set your myCred Log templates for transfers and cancellations.
- Set the SMS replies you want to send users. Remember that you will be charged for these SMS replies and there is a maximum 160 characters per message.
- Click Update Settings
* Phone numbers must be stored in the proper format! This means numbers should start with a plus character (+) then the country code (1 for USA) then the entire number without any dashes or spaces!
Important to remember
- This add-on will only manage the SMS transfers for you. It will NOT insert any details to your users on how to use the SMS service, this you need to add yourself!
- Twilio will charge you for replying to SMS messages. If you expect a large volume of messages, please contact Twilio Sales to make sure you are on the correct pricing plan.
- Support is only offered for this add-on. If you experience technical issues with your Twilio account, please contact Twilio directly.
Setting up your Twilio Number
In order for this add-on to work, you must setup your Twilio phone numbers “Messaging Request URL” in order to tell Twilio where to forward incoming SMS messages.
- Login to your Twilio account
- Click on “Numbers” in your account menu
- Click on the phone number you want to use
- In the “Messaging” box enter the URL given to your in your myCred > Settings > SMS Payments settings.
- Make sure the request is done using “GET”.
- Click Save Changes
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.